How much does it cost to remove a tree?
When people want to remove a tree from their house, the first thing that comes to their mind would be the cost of removal. In the U.S. the average price for removing a tree starts from $200 to $2,000. So, keep reading this to find out what is the proper cost and what factors companies use to determine the removal price.
Is it expensive to remove a tree?
The price of tree removal can be cheap or expensive depending on the size, type of tree, difficulty, and working time. The price for cutting a tree down in the U.S. starts from $340 up to $1,500. The cutting price is normally determined by difficulty in climbing the tree and the heaviness of tools they use, such as a crane or a big chainsaw. For the very big tree, the cost can reach up to $7,500.
Price by tree size
- Small tree A small tree can be defined as being 5-15 ft tall and with a trunk diameter that is no bigger than 6 inches. However, some small trees take many hours to remove and you might have to pay a bit more for those hours. The price for a small size tree is around 200 – $490. Examples of small trees: Franklin Tree, Magnolia, Lemon tree, and Japanese Maple
- Medium tree A medium tree can be classified as being 15-25 ft tall. Since it has a bigger trunk, it takes several hours of work. Medium-sized trees range from $500-$900 to get rid of everything. Moreover, it can be more expensive if your location is difficult to enter. Examples of medium trees: Liquidambar, Date Palm, and American Holly.
- Large tree Obviously, the large tree removal price will be expensive since there will be a lot of leaves and timber that will need to be taken out. Also, it might take many days to take a large tree down. A big tree is 25-60 ft tall and the removal price is between $950 – $2,500. Examples of big trees: Giant Sequoia, Spruce, Mountain Ash, and Noble Fir tree.
Other types of tree removal
Removal tree services are not just for living trees, it also includes trimming trunks, removing stumps, cutting branches, chopping and splitting wood. However, it is always up to you to remove the stump or keep it. Here are the average costs for other services:
- Tree stump: If you choose to remove a stump, the price is between $80 – $340.
- Fallen trees: Removing this is quite cheap because there isn’t much work to do, the price is around $110 – $200.
- Dead trees: It is crucial to get rid of dead trees, and since they are normally light, it doesn’t cost as much compared to their living counterparts. The price ranges around $75 – $450.
- Branches: The removal of branches is normally included in tree removal, but a tree company might charge you around $80 for removing chipping parts, for example.
- Tree transplant: If you want to move your trees and plant them somewhere else, the service for transplanting trees is around $100 – $130, but this can greatly vary depending on its size and location.
What is the best time to remove a tree?
As you may know, you can get rid of your trees at any time but the perfect time to remove one is in winter. Since trees, in general, will take time in spring and summer to grow, you’re better off doing this kind of job during, or at the end of winter. Also, they will be less weak to diseases and pests during that time.
Another advantage is that it is cheaper during winter because there aren’t many people using the service. Therefore, companies usually offer a good deal like 20% off from the total price to attract customers.
How to calculate the tree removal price?
Generally, tree companies charge money for the full job, not per hour, so there is no certain formula for calculation as many factors need to be taken into account. Normally, the staff will come to the location then estimate the cost from the difficulty of the job at hand.
Nevertheless, the price from each company can greatly differ since they have their own way of calculating their prices. It’s always smart to check out many companies’ offerings to compare their prices and reviews.
Can you negotiate the price?
Yes, you can! The price of removing trees is pretty variable, but you can try to negotiate the price down. Here are a few tips to do so:
- First, call a couple of companies to check out their rates. Once you get the one you like, tell them that another company offers you X price. Then, see if they can give you a better deal.
- Second, you can help the workers before they arrive at your location by clearing the way so they can access your tree easily.
Keep in mind that getting a cheap price is good, but the safety and quality of the work should always come first.